U(E)BERMAN-KIELOCH, Anna see KIELOCH, Jadwiga, mother
UCHRYNSKI, Klementyna
UCHTO, Antoni
UCHTO, Maria, wife


Walter was a furniture maker, a member of Zegota. He continued his activities in spite of the killing of his father, early in the war, suspected to conceal Jews. See the article by Gloria Charnes in "The Canadian Jewish News, Rosh Hoshanah Supplement", Sept. 28, 1989, p. 35.


Henryka lived at Nowosielce, near Lvov, with her husband Jan Ulanowski, who was active in the resistance. Henryka got three people out of the Lvov ghetto: Tadeusz and Felicja Wilder and her sister. The Ulanowskis got faked documents for them and in 1944 moved to Warsaw, from where Henryka traveled to Nowosielce, continuing to take care of her charges.
The three survived and after the war went to Israel. Jan Ulanowski was killed in the Warsaw Uprising (1944). Henryka married Juliusz Kowalski and settled with him in Israel. Jan is not recognized up to now. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

ULASIUK, Jozefa, wife
ULERYK, Antonina
ULERYK, Jozef, son
ULERYK, Stanislaw, son
ULIASZ, Sabina, wife
ULIASZ-IWASZCZUKIEWICZ, Maria Jolanta, daughter?

* ULMA, Jozef
* ULMA, Wiktoria, wife

The Ulmas were mentioned in the List of "Those Who Paid with Their Lives". The following
is their story written by Wladyslawa Ulma, Jozef's niece.
Jozef, although having a minuscule farm, was a pioneer in agriculture and horticulture. In the fall of 1941 Szali, known to Jozef, as the kettle merchant, with his wife and four children knocked on his door. With them came also two daughters of Chaim Goldman. Jozef put all eight (8) in the attic, as his family lived in two rooms downstairs. On March 23, 1944 the gendarmes, under the command of a 23 years old Jan Kokot, a Germanized Czech, surrounded the house. First they shot the Jews in the attic and then took outside the Ulmas, shooting them in the back of the head starting by the oldest child: Stasia (Stanislawa) 8, Barbara, 7, Wladyslaw, 5, Franciszek, 4, Antoni, 2 and a half, Maria, 18 months. Victoria, pregnant, tore herself from the gendarmes' hands and tried to escape. They shot her too and Jozef as the last one. The neighbors begged the killers to let them dig two graves, one for the Ulmas, another for the Jews. On Jan. 11, 1945, in spite of German prohibition, the closest family disinterred the bodies to bury them in the cemetary and found that the seventh child was born in the thumb of their parents. On September 13, 1995 Wladyslaw Ulma received on behalf of his brother Jozef and his wife Wiktoria the medal as "Righteous among the Nations". The certificate tells that they tried to save Jews at the risk of their lives, but does not mention that they died for them. See: the book "Godni synowie naszej Ojczyzny", Warszawa, Wyd. Siostr Loretanek, 2002.

UNIATOWICZ, Ludmila, see LANGER, Mrs.
URBAN, Jan son
URBANEK, Sabina, wife
URBANOWICZ-MIESZKIEWICZ, Bronislawa, daughter?
URBANOWICZ-HEKLER, Janina, daughter?
URBANOWICZ, Jozef, syn
URBANSKI, Zofia, wife

URBANSKI, Stanislaw (1913-1973)
URBANSKI-GOCYLA-BARUT, Jadwiga (1924-) wife

Stanislaw, an officer of the AK, residing at Huta Polanska (Krosno prov.) bicycled 20 km to Zmigrod, to warn his acquaintance, Jozef Strenger, of an imminent execution of the Jews. Jozef entrusted him the eldest of his three daughters, 11 years old Golda, whom Stanislaw brought on his bicycle home. Jozef's family perished but he escaped from the transport and came to the Urbanskis. When he had to hide in the forest they brought him food there until Stanislaw contacted him with a partisan unit. Golda remained as a cousin and Jadwiga' s father, Jan Barut, (q.v.) gave her the school certificate under another name. Jozef went to the USA and his daughter to Israel. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

URBANCZUK, Marian Adam
URBANCZUK, Wiktoria, wife
URZYKOWSKI, Emilia, wife
URZYKOWSKI, Janusz, son
USTIANOWSKI, Czeslaw, son
USTIANOWSKI, Ignacy, son?

USCIENSKI, Roman (1907-)

He lived in Lvov and worked in a Polish building company that during the occupation had to work for the Germans. Jews, brought from the Janowski camp, also worked there. Some of them stayed on the premises of the company workshops. Among them there was the engineer Simon Wiesenthal, who, on behalf of inspector Kohlrantz, worked as a building technician. Given the massacres in Lvov, in January of 1943 and others before that, Simon Wiesenthal, with his co-inmate Scheiman, decided not to return to the camp, but to hide in the workshops. They took off their David stars and Roman Uscienski took them to his apartment, ca. 2 miles distant. The next day a woman liaison from the Lvov underground organization took the two, disguised as Hungarian soldiers, to a safer place. Shortly after, in May 1943, the Germans killed ca. 2,000 inmates of the Janowski camp. After the war Simon Wiesenthal organized the Jewish documentary Center in Vienna, which specializes in searching for German war criminals and bringing them to justice. Among others he found Adolf Eichman. In his statement of December 1986, Simon Wiesenthal wrote that he owes his life to many people, among others to Roman Uscienski. According to the statement of Arthur Scheiman, made before justice M. Bilinski in Katowice, on June 16, 1970, he and Simon Wiesenthal fled in September 1943 to the home of the parents of Aniela Dus, then 15-17 years old. She worked in the workshop kitchen. They stayed with her parents for 10 days, after which Arthur joined his wife, a Polish woman Maria, and stayed there up to July 27, 1944. After some 3 weeks, Aniela brought to them in secret Simon Wiesenthal. Simon and Arthur hid in or behind a wardrobe, for about two weeks. Wiesenthal left this shelter to hide with some of his acquaintainces. Maria, Arthur's wife, told him that the Gestapo found Simon with other Jews hiding there. Simon was sent again to the Janowski camp, from which he was transported to Mauthausen-Gusen camp in Austria, until his liberation in 1945. See: Grynberg, op. cit. and Wronski & Zwolakowa, op. cit.

UWARZOW-DYRDA, Urszula see DYRDA, Pawel & Maria, parents?