GACH, Jozef
GACH, Kazimierz, son
GACZ, Antonina
GADECKI, Eugeniusz
GADECKI, Genowefa, wife
GAJEWSKI, Maria, wife

GAJEWSKI, Stefan (not related)

GAJEWSKI, Zofia (not related) see TURCZYNSKI, Boleslaw & Helena, parents ?

GAJOR, Maciej

Maciej found near his house a homeless woman, who wanted to commit suicide, following the loss of her children. He took the Jewish lady in and kept her for two years. His Yad Vashem medal was conferred in Lublin, Poland, on May 6, 1999, according to the Israeli Embassy.

GAJOWNICZEK, Marianna see IMIOLEK, Antoni & Czeslawa, parents ?
GALACH, Feliksa

GALACH, Jozef (not related)

GALAS, Stanislaw, son

David Efrati, having blue eyes and blond hair, lived in a close-knit family of eight children in the Jewish quarter in Warsaw, where his parents had a business with materials for shoemakers. David was sent to the Jewish school, but once punished by the teacher, he refused to continue and his parents had to move him to a Polish school, where he learned the language. The Germans made on him a very good impression, but soon he suffered from them. He started to make a living by smuggling goods and met a Polish colleague, Stanislaw Galas, called Stasiek. He had many brushes with death, but being very decisive and resourceful, when he was in utter danger and despair, he always got help from Stasiek and his family: father, Jan and his daughter Niusia. Jan was a janitor of a building where he gave refuge to six Jews with a little girl in the cellar. But as the Jews quarreled much among them, David did not want to stay any longer there and told Stasiek that either he will take him to his home or he, David, will return to the ghetto; they can kill him. And Stasiek took him home. After a few days all the Jews in that cellar were killed and Jan, Stasiek's father with them. But Jan's wife and children did not show David that they are afraid of keeping him. David traveled to many cities in order to escape Jews' enemies, be it the Germans, Lithuanians, Latvians or Ukrainians. He even jumped from a train going to Treblinka, escaped from the Trawniki camp, went to Lvov, met thieves who wanted to teach him how to steal, worked on Ukrainian peasants farms, always presenting himself as a Pole and Catholic. Finally he found a Jewish family who was happy to meet him. He lost contact with Stasiek and Niusia in 1948, when he went to Israel. He returned to Poland in 1963 and found only Niusia, ill and unhappy. He found Stasiek in Warsaw only in 1960. Niusia and her mother were not living any more. David took care of Stasiek and helped him as he could. Stasiek married and has a son. In 1984(5) Stasiek and his father got the recognition as "Righteous". See: Isakiewicz, op. cit.


GALECKI-JASKIEWICZ, Zofia (not related)
GAPSKI, Leokadia
GARBULINSKI, Marian, son
GARBULINSKI, Wladyslaw, son
GARCZYNSKI, Zofia, wife

GARDZINSKI, Eugeniusz (1904-) teacher
GARDZINSKI, Klementyna, wife, teacher

The Gardzinskis lived in the village of Borowe, near Mogilnica Grojecka, Chelm prov. They helped many Jews, especially children. First they took into their house the two children of Klementyna's sister, whose father, Zygmunt Jaffe, was Jewish, and kept them till the end of the occupation. They also housed Eugenia Erlich, nine years old, who remained under their care until she became independent. From the winter of 1943 till March 1945 they took care of the two year old Danuta Gorny, whose father claimed her after the war. From October 1944 till the end they harbored also Stanislawa and Jozef Zalewski. All survived the war and went to different countries. See: Grynberg, op. cit.


GARGASZ, Zofia, born ROZYCKI, wife

The couple farmed at Brzozow, Krosno prov. In 1942 they found hiding in their attic an elderly Jewish woman, Henia Katz, ill and frightened after escaping the deportation of Jews from Sanok. Being both members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, they decided, after some hesitation, to nurse her back to health and harbor her. A neighbor betrayed them and the couple with Henia were arrested and sentenced to death on April 26, 1944. Their sentences were signed by the following judges: Pooht, Stumpel and Dr. Aldenhoff, and witnessed by Dr. Voltereck and Dr. Naumann «on behalf of the German people ». But as the Red Army approached swiftly, Hans Frank, the governor of the occupied General government (Central Poland) commuted the death sentence for a concentration camp. Such commutation was extremely rare in similar cases. Jakub and Zofia survived and were liberated from the camp by the Allies. See: Paldiel, op. cit. Grynberg mentions that Henia Katz was sheltered with her little girl and that Zofia, wishing to save her husband, took all the responsibility exclusively on herself, motivating her action by religious precepts, which did not influence the German judges. See: Paldiel, op. cit.

GASINSKI-BLASZCZYK, Stanislawa see BLASZCZYK, Stanislaw & A.. parents
GAWALEK, Julian, son
GAWALEK, Stanislawa, daughter

GAWEL, Jadwiga
GAWEL, Jan, son
GAWEL, Jozef, son

GAWEL, Szczepan (not related)
GAWEL, Maria, wife

According to the testimony presented to Yad Vashem by Mrs. Regina F., she and her aunt, Alexandra F., a dentist, were harbored for a certain time by Mrs. Shaefer, an elderly widow of a Protestant pastor in Staszow, Tarnobrzeg prov. Before that, the two women were hiding in the woods, like many other Jews. After a few months in the forest, with winter approaching, they were advised to ask Szczepan and Maria for shelter. This poor peasant couple at Wisniowa, not far from Czajkow and Staszow, kept at that time fourteen (14) other such people; some of them were hidden in the basement, others in the barn. When that place also became dangerous, the two women changed their hiding place for the home of Franciszek and Katarzyna Brzyszcz (q.v.). The letter from Yad Vashem recognizing them as "Righteous" was dated Sept. 5, 1996. Case 6510 started in 1987

GAWELCZYK, Bronislawa, wife
GAWENDA-KARASEK, Zofia see KARASEK, Leon, Jerzy & Teresa
GAWLAK-SLEZAK, Regina (born DYL?)
GAWLIK, Hildegarda, wife

GAWRYCH, Aleksandra, wife

At the beginning of 1940 the 13 years old Frieda Aronson worked as a helper to a seamstress in Stanislawow. She met there the wife of the forester, Aleksandra Gawrych, who proposed her to live with them and sew for the couple's children. The Gawrychs harbored also four (4) other Jews from Warsaw. In March of 1943 the estate owner discovered them and denounced them to the Gestapo, who arrested and shot Jan Gawrych. Frieda at that moment was not at home; she escaped and after much wandering, found shelter in a convent until the end of the occupation. Jan and Aleksandra were recognized as "Righteous" in 1999. The medal received for them their daughter, Jadwiga Gawrych on May 1st, 2000 in Warsaw, as announced by the Israeli Embassy.

GASKA, Aniela

GASKA, Zbigniew (not related)
GASKA, Bronislawa, wife, born TKACZ

During the occupation Bronislawa lived with her parents in Stanislawow. In August 1942 her father, Jan Tkacz, brought 13-year old Sylvia Andacht, who escaped deportation to an extermination camp. The Tkacz couple got false documents for her and transferred her to Podhajec, to Zbigniew Gaska's, fiancé and later husband of Bronislawa. The Gaska couple moved Sylvia in 1943 to their acquaintances' in Lvov. Sylvia went to Germany in 1944 as a Pole, where she stayed until the liberation. See: Grynberg, op. cit. Jan Tkacz is not recognized.

GBUREK, Franciszek(1888-1948)
GBUREK, Franciszka (1889-1944) wife
GBUREK-PLACHKY, Anna (1914-1990) daughter
GBUREK, Ryszard, (1915-1963) son
GBUREK-KAMSKI, Maria (1924-) daughter

The family lived at Giszowiec, near Myslowice, Katowice prov. Franciszek was a coal-miner. They harbored five (5) Jews: Szloma and Uszer Stajnfeld, Golda and Rocha Tornhajm and Zygmunt Weinreich, from August 1943 till the end of the occupation. After the war the Jews left for Israel. Zygmunt attested to their entire disinterestedness. See: Grynberg, op cit.

GEBEL, Boleslaw
GEBEL, Antonina, wife
GEDYCH, Jadwiga Danuta see KLOSS-GEDYCH, J.
GEDZALA, Anna, wife
GELBHART-SITKO, Wanda see SITKO, Maria, mother?


Jozefa took into her home till the end of the occupation 14 year old Hania, daughter of Roza Apelstein. Hania now lives in Israel. See Grynberg, op. cit.

GERC, Malwina see SAWKO, Jozef & Antonina, parents

GERE, Istvan
GERE, Anita, wife

The Geres lived in Cracow. Before the war they had befriended the Dattners, who managed to escape from the ghetto. Thanks to the Geres, Bruno Dattner, his wife Janina and son Edward left with false papers for Warsaw, where they went straight to Anita's sister, Otylia Emilia Trnka, (q.v.) superior of the St. Lazarus Hospital. She drove them to the apartment of her other sister at Wlochy, near Warsaw, which was unoccupied at that time. After a few months there the Dattners rented another apartment at Zoliborz, suburb of Warsaw. Bruno even found work in a commercial company. He took part in the Warsaw Uprising in a sapper unit and later went to Israel. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GERSIN, Zygmunt
GERULA, Michal
GERULA, Katarzyna, wife

GETTER, Matylda, Mother (1870-1968)

Mother Matylda was superior of the Warsaw province of the Sisters of the Family of Mary, which, in that province alone, ran 20 orphanages, among them: Anin, Bialoleka, Chotomowo, Pludy, Ulanowek, Zosinek. When the Germans started to liquidate Jews, Mother Matylda gave the order that all her institutions have to give them help. These institutions went on to save ca. 500 Jewish children. One of these Sisters, Stanislawa Kaniewska from "Zosinek" at Miedzylesie near Warsaw, describes what it meant. The orphanage counted ca. 70 children, of which 10 were Jewish. One of them was a nine year old girl, who was so terrified by the sight of Germans, that her fright immediately attracted their attention when some of them appeared at the orphanage and caused them to ask if the Sisters do not keep Jewish children. Stanislawa, fluent in German, assured them that only Polish Catholic children are in the orphanage and another Sister, Maria Czechowicz, distracted them from that dangerous questioning by talking to them in French, which one of them knew. In the last days of July 1944, when Russians reached the river Vistula, they bombarded the city by artillery and from the air. Several people were killed, the chapel was destroyed, but nobody from the orphanage was harmed. On August 1st (first day of the Warsaw Uprising), during lunch, for which there were only broad beans, the Germans suddenly stormed into the orphanage and ordered everybody to leave and to march toward Warsaw. Soon the other orphanage from Miedzylesie, "Ulanowek", with the youngest children, joined them. Those children remained at Grochow, while "Zosinek" went on to Saska Kepa, both in Warsaw. As the children had nothing to eat, Stanislawa asked the parish priest to announce their predicament in church and parishioners flocked with food. Stanislawa, realizing that this was not sufficient, returned with the older girls to Miedzylesie for food. Germans forbade them to go there but allowed them to go to Anin, where the Sisters had another orphanage. There they were bombarded again by artillery fire by both Germans and by Russians at the same time. On August 13, Germans ordered the evacuation also of this second orphanage. Sister Stanislawa explained the situation to the German command. At the beginning, the commanding officer refused any help, but finally agreed to give them horse carts for the children and food. After another bombing from the air by the Soviets, Sister Stanislawa ordered the drivers to go not to Modlin, as indicated the Germans, but to Pludy, another of their orphanages, this time with 80 children and with the food. Having arrived there, she got some food for the children left at Saska Kepa. When she returned there, the children received her with tears. She fed them and they all went to Pludy. The conditions there were very difficult, as several orphanages were reunited there: altogether 500 children, of which a hundred (100) were Jewish. Germans came continuously to search the house, especially one, particularly obnoxious, returned every day during three weeks, looking for Jewish children and for a Jewish priest, father Puder, but as much as he searched he could not find them. He announced that if he discovers even one Jew, all would be shot. Among continuous threats the Sister refused three times to leave the orphanage. The soldiers put her against the wall and under guard when they were expelling again all the children to Modlin. The superior, Sister Romualda, entreated the Germans to leave the two and three year olds as too young to walk so far, famished as they were. They acquiesced and allowed seven Sisters, among them Stanislawa, to stay with them. On the third night there arrived a German doctor, furious that not all the children had left and requested to see the German-speaking Sister. But when he saw the miserable state of children in the cellars, he was appalled. He promised her to reward her after the war for her heroism. She thanked him but told him that she does it not for German rewards but to save the Polish children and that they need food, as they have only rye grain to eat. He promised to send them all kinds of food and delicacies. At that moment a shell fell in the place where both of them were standing and killed some people. The German doctor and the Polish Sister were both knocked out. But the food never arrived: the Germans fled. The next day Polish soldiers from the Kosciuszko division (formed in Soviet Russia out of Poles deported to Siberia at the beginning of the war, who did not manage to join the 2nd Polish Corps of General Anders) liberated them. One of the priests celebrated Mass in the cellar; everybody wept. See: Smolski, op. cit. (pp. 300-308) Jadwiga Skrzydlowski from Warsaw in her statement relates how she herself and many others were also saved by Mother Matylda. See: Wronski & Zwolakowa, op. cit.

GIBES, Jozef
GIBES, Jozefa, wife

They saved the family of Szymon Goldberg at Jadowniki Mokre, Tarnobrzeg prov. The Goldbergs left for France. See: Wronski & Zwolakowa, op. cit.

GIERWATOWSKI, Kazimiera, wife
GIERWATOWSKI, Barbara, daughter
GIERWATOWSKI, Mieczyslaw, son
GILL, Jozef
GILL, Janina, wife
GILUK, Gabriela see NIEDOJADLO, Jozefa, mother
GLADYS, Wladyslawa
GLINA, Mikolaj
GLINA, Anastazja, wife

GLINKA, Stefan
GLINKA, Maria, wife

The couple lived in Warsaw. Stefan was a member of a sport club and maintained contacts with his Jewish colleagues. As administrator of many Jewish houses vacated forcibly on the "Aryan" side of the city, he managed to harbor them in these houses under false identities, giving to some of them the birth certificates of his deceased relations. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GLINSKI, Leonard (1917-)

Leonard was active in the resistance movement in Warsaw. He worked in a building company owned by Stanislaw Pacha, who knew before the war the Jewish family Potok from Bedzin, in Upper Silesia. When the 13 years old daughter of Sewek Potok, Alina, escaped the Bedzin ghetto, she came to Warsaw and went to Pacha, where she befriended Stanislaw. Through his contacts with the resistance movement, he got for her a baptismal certificate from Lvov, which stated that Alina is a 15 years old girl. As such she could be sent to work in Austria, as a maid in the house of a physician. Sewek Potok, who also survived, went to Vienna and brought his daughter back. They left for Australia. Alina stays in touch with Leonard. See Grynberg, op. cit.

GLOCER, Helena

GLOEH (GLOECH?) (1885-1980) Feliks, pastor

The chief Protestant pastor of the Polish Army, with the rank of Colonel, Rev. Gloeh provided false documents to many Jews. He gave ca. 160 birth and baptismal certificates to Dr. Michal Litynski, ward head in the Ujazdowski Hospital, stamped with the seal of an Augsburg-Protestant parish in Lomza, signed by its pastor, Rev. Kacper Mikulski. Dr. Litynski gave personally 50 such forms to Jews. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GLAS, Stefan (-1044)
GLAS, Maria, wife
GLAS, Tadeusz, son
GLAS, Wlodzimierz, son

The Glas family lived at Chrzanow, Katowice prov., where the father owned a carpenter's shop. The sons presented to the Germans two Jewish women, Estera Fischer and Ida Madanes, as workers hired by the owner, and harbored them in their home. Later the two women were moved to Modrzejow. After the war both went to Israel. See: Grynberg, op. cit

GLOS, Aleksander (1899-1953)
GLOS, Stanislawa, born SAWICKI (1906-) wife

The Glos couple were peasants farming at Kierzkowka, near Lubartow, Lublin prov., with two teenage sons: Tadeusz (1927-1965) and Ryszard (1931-1976).
Frank Bleichman, whose whole family perished in 1942, and who knew the Glos family, ran to them for help in the fall of 1942 fleeing in the night from the deportation of Jews. They hid him in the house and in the barn, treating him as a member of the family. Later he joined the partisans but visited them often. They helped also other Jews. Their recognition as "Righteous" dates from June 14, 1998, announced by a letter from Yad Vashem of July 7, 1998. This case, No. 8045, was started in 1986. The medal and certificate were conferred on May 6, 1999 in Lublin to the widow of Tadeusz, Alfreda.

GLOWACKI, Henryk Lucjan (1906-)
GLOWACKI, Stanislawa (1905-1983) wife
GLOWACKI, Kazimierz (1929-) son

The Glowackis worked in Warsaw in a factory where worked also Lipman Gurman, whom they helped when he found himself in the ghetto. They advised him to leave the ghetto and promised to take care of him, but he refused in order to stay with his parents. When he lost them, he decided to flee, which he did on March 23, 1943, going straight to the Glowackis. The family had only one room for the four of them and they lived in it till August 15, 1944. They went together through many dramatic moments. Germans searched during nights. Neighbors, fearing a bloody repression, requested that Lipman leave the house and even threatened to denounce him. After the fall of the Warsaw Uprising he was dispatched as a Pole, with false papers to Frankfurt, from where he escaped to Darmstadt. When he was caught, he was sentenced to a penal camp. After the war he returned to Poland and maintains heartfelt contacts with the Glowackis. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GLOWACKI-BLOCKI, Regina (not related) see BLOCKI, Kazimiera, mother

GLOWACKI-PLENKIEWICZ, Urszula (not related)

GLOWACKI, Wladyslaw (1901-) priest (not related)

From October 1940 till August 1942 he served as vicar in the Church of Our Lady in the territory of the Warsaw ghetto on 34 Leszno Street. Many Jews benefited from his help: to some of them he gave baptismal certificates, among them to Amelia and Rudolf Areichowski, Alexander Bender, Maksymilian Seidenbeutel. In August 1942 Father Wladyslaw was transferred to the parish at Sluzewiec, but continued his contacts with the resistance movement on behalf of the Jews. In his presbytery he harbored, from August 1942 till the end of the occupation, Helena Labedz. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GLOWACZ, Wiktoria
GLOD, Piotr
GLOD, Piotr's wife
GLUCHOWSKI, Marianna, wife
GNIEWEK, Franciszek

GODAWA. Andrzej
GODAWA, Anna, wife
GODAWA-CICHY (CICHA?) Janina, daughter
GODAWA, Maria, daughter

The family received the medal of "Righteous" from Yad Vashem on June 9, 1999 in Wroclaw, Poland, as announced the Israeli Embassy in Poland.

GODLEWSKI, Maria (1907-1977)
GODLEWSKI-BIENIECKI, Halina, (1930-) daughter

Maria kept a grocer's shop at Czarna Wies near Bialystok. Nina and Samuel Hupert, who fled the Germans from Lodz came to that town. They stayed in the house of Maria and Halina till the end of the war and then went to Israel. In 1986 Helena was invited by the Huperts to Israel, where she received the medal and planted the tree in the Alley of the "Righteous" at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GODLEWSKI-BOGUCKI, Janina (not related) see BOGUCKI, Andrzej, husband
GODZIEK, Augustyn
GODZIEK, Zofia, wife

GODZIEN, Ludwik (1880-1945)
GODZIEN, Bronislawa (1903-1949) daughter
GODZIEN-LANDAU, Wiktoria (1905-1977) daughter

The Godzien family lived at Wschodnica, near Boryslaw. From August 1943 till September 1944 they harbored in their only room and kitchen Dr. Juliusz Landau and his sister Zofia, who were completely dependent on them, (according to the doctor's statement). See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GODZINSKI-SKOWRON, Eugenia see SKOWRON, Roch & Jozefa, parents

GOEHRES, Julia, wife
GOEHRES, Irena, daughter

In February of 1942 in Jaslo the family found a two years old girl lying in the snow. Edward got "Aryan" documents for her. He, his wife and their two daughters, Irena and Ewa took care of her with love and self-denial. In 1946 the girl's uncle, Mosze Montag retrieved her and a few years later they went to Israel. The family recognized as "Righteous" in 1999, were honored in Warsaw the 1st May of 2000, as announced the Israeli Embassy in Poland

GOGULKA, Boleslaw
GOGULKA, Eugenia, wife
GOGULKA, Lucja, daughter

GOLECKI, Ludwik (1912-)

Ludwik helped several Jewish people from Parczewo, Bielskopodlaskie prov.
First he took care of the couple Zyto with their 10 years old son Wiktor. Soon he himself had to escape to Warsaw from the Gestapo. He worked there as Leon Ludwik Golik. He provided the Jews with false documents and found shelter for them. Wiktoria Lewkowicz came with her mother from Lvov and her brother escaped from the ghetto in that city. Ludwik took care of them, also teaching them proper behavior so as not to become suspect. He also helped Benjamin Mandelkern, his wife Helena and Hanna Szechter. All except Genia Zyto survived and left for Israel or France. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GOLEDZINOWSKI, Jadwiga, wife
GOLKOWSKI, Czeslawa, wife
GOLTZ-BERCZYNSKI, Zofia see BERCZYNSKI, Waclaw, husband
GOLUCH, Genowefa


Prof. Julian Aleksandrowicz, the famous hematologist from Cracow, names a certain Jan Golab as the "head Doctor" and as one of many people of the underground in Cracow who tried to save him, his wife, son and parents. They succeeded and the professor became a physician in a partisan unit of the AK, under the alias "Doctor Twardy". His diary was published as "Kartki z Dziennika Doktora Twardego". Cracow, 1962 (2nd enlarged ed. 1967) See: Bartoszewski & Lewin, op. cit. (excerpts from his diary: pp. 244-250)

GOLEMBIECKI, Anna, daughter
GOLEMBIECKI, Czeslaw, son
GOLEMBIECKI, Franciszek, son
GOLEMBIECKI, Kazimierz, son
GOLEBICKI, Jozefa, wife
GOLEBIOWSKI, Helena, daughter

GOLEBIOWSKI, Marian (1919-) (not related)

A lawyer born in Tarnopol, during the war he stayed in Nowy Sacz. At the request of Irena Szumski he took her with her fiancé and later husband, Dr. Juliusz Hellereich, into his only room. Marian led them later to his colleague, Jan Ryndok to Jaslo, presenting them as political refugees, Irena and Zbigniew Jakobiszyn. Fearing denunciation, he went with them to the estate of Czermna, owned by Mrs. Lobaczewski. All three stayed there till the end of the occupation. Later Dr. Hellereich practiced medicine in western Pomerania. Ludwik helped also other Jews. During two years he provided food and moral encouragement to Teresa Huppert and her son Uri. Teresa and her son wrote from Israel a glowing deposition on behalf of Ludwik for whose decoration as "Righteous" by Yad Vashem in 1989 Dr. Hellereich came from Australia with his daughter, now Ingram. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GOLEBIOWSKI, Rozalia (not related)
GOLEBIOWSKI, Natalia, daughter
GOLOS, Edward
GOLOWACZ, Jadwiga, wife
GONCZAR, Maria, wife
GONDOROWICZ, Antonina Gabriela, wife

GORAJEK, Jozef (1908-) priest

As parish-priest at Wawolnica, Lublin prov. and chaplain of the resistance movement, he procured baptismal certificates for Jews. In particular, he took care of Danuta Winnik at Niezabitow and of her small son Eugeniusz, whom he baptized and to whom he taught the Catholic religion, thus deflecting suspicions of parishioners. Danuta left for Argentina and died there in 1981. Eugeniusz came from USA for a visit to Poland, found Father Gorajek and expressed their gratitude. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GORCZYCA-ZIEBA, Julia, daughter
GORCZYCA, Stanislaw, son
GORCZYCA-DASZKIEWICZ, Wladyslawa, daughter

GORCZYCA, Michal (not related)
GORCZYCA, Zofia, wife

Michal and Zofia received their medal as "Righteous" from Yad Vashem on June 9, 1999 in Wroclaw, as announced the Israeli Embassy in Poland.

GORCZYK, Stanislaw (1910-1985)

Stanislaw lived at Skole, Stryj district, near the Polish-Hungarian border. During the occupation he used to travel to Zamosc, Lublin prov., to buy food in exchange for garments. He met Antoni Dubel who asked him to conduct through the border a Czech Jew, Hersz Ben, who had papers in the name of Michal Dobes.
In August 1942 Stanislaw, with the couple Dobes, undertook the 500 Km. journey from Zamosc, through Stryj and Lvov to Skole. The three went through many transfers and searches by gendarmes during that trip, but arrived safely to Stanislaw's house and stayed there for some time. One night they started to march the 60 Km. trek towards the border through the Tatra Mountains and after a few days reached Felszyn Hidek Potok, already in Hungary. Stanislaw repeated the same journey still two more times with Stanislaw Lanys and his wife from Czechoslovakia, and with Jozef Kalman, his wife and a 16 years old sister from Hungary. The couple Dobes went to Australia; the fate of the others is unknown. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GORTAT, Henryk 1915-1985)

Henryk lived with his mother at Czerwinsk, Plock prov. In 1941 The Gliksman family escaped deportation to the ghetto and hid in a sepulchre at the Czerwinsk cemetery. Unfortunately they were found and shot. But before the execution they and their neighbor, Leokadia Gortat, Henryk's mother, entreated the gendarme to spare the two small children. The gendarme brought at night the 5 years old Gliksman girl who remained with the Gortats the rest of the war. In 1947 a representative of the Central Jewish Committee came for the child who was placed in an orphanage in Otwock. An uncle living in France soon reclaimed her. She lives there now. See: Grynberg, op. cit. Leokadia is not recognized as"Righteous".

GOS, Edward
GOS, Stefania, wife
GOSK, Jozef
GOSK, Mieczyslaw (son? brother)
GOSK, Helena, Mieczyslaw's wife
GOSZKOWSKI, Maria, wife

GOZDEK-GREK, Jan (1929-) doctor

Jan was active in the resistance in the AK, and in the People's Army. Once, while bicycling through a wood, he met two exhausted men who had escaped from transportation to a camp and had wandered for four days without food and water. He left them his coat and the food he had on him and promised to come later. The next day he appeared with a horse cart and took them to a barn. The refugees were Izaak Supel and Professor Abram Miodek, both from Warsaw. Both survived. Jan was persecuted and even imprisoned by the Communists in charge in Poland since 1945. Abram Miodek, after a lengthy quest, wrote from the USA in 1974, a beautiful letter about Jan, asking anybody who will see it to give him all possible assistance for what he did for him and his friend Supel. See: Grynberg, op. cit.


GORECKI, Piotr (not related)
GORECKI, Agnieszka, wife

GORECKI, Wiktor (not related)
GORECKI, Anastazja, wife
GORECKI, Leokadia, daughter
GORECKI, Zofia, daughter

GORECKI, Zbigniew, physician (not related)
GORNIAK, Jozefa, wife
GORNIAK, Michal, son
GORNIAK, Tatiana, daughter
GORSKI, Czeslaw

GORSKI, Marceli (not related)
GORSKI, Janina, wife

Abram Gilblum was the youngest of six children of a restaurant owner in Warsaw. His father had also a bottling plant in Otwock, near Warsaw. Abram studied in a private school, where he was taught Hebrew and Polish. He was ten in 1939. When the Germans came, at the beginning they were rather calm and came to drink beer and make friends among the Poles. In Otwock there were as many Jews as Poles. But when the SS came they started the killings. Jews were not allowed to have any business activity. So Abram's father found an honest Pole, Marceli Gorski, to whom he transferred the machinery, the ownership, for which he paid him half of all profits. When the ghetto was formed in Otwock, the Gilblums asked Marceli Gorski for shelter. They all moved to the bunker, which they built with a neighbor, in the cellar of the bottling plant, in which 40 Jews found refuge. The gendarmes went from house to house as only half of Jews came out as ordered. Gorski paid two Polish guides, who conducted them 20 km to Kolbiela, where there was still no ghetto. One day the Germans organized there an "Aktion" and gathered Jews to Treblinka. Abram caught with others, escaped in the night from the confinement. Gorski found in Otwock a relative to whom he paid 2,000 zlotys for each person, i.e. 16,000 zlotys for the Gilblum family, for shelter and upkeep, beside paying them half of profits from the bottling plant. When by chance they learned about it, they told him to give them only one quarter from the profits. So Marceli provided them with food himself. The shelter was 1,80 m by 3 m, full of cockroaches. To a neighbor who heard voices, Krup, the house owner, explained that his home is haunted. So they stayed there about a year. Then Krup requested from Marceli Gorski more money, telling that he must build a new house. He transferred his eight charges to a void building, unheated, where they almost froze. The Gilblums decided to go to the ghetto. Marceli when informed of that decision told them then they have to convince his wife. Janina Gorska started to pray and told them: "If after all I did for you, you want to die, this is your decision, but you must kill me before. I hope that you have some pity on me". So they remained. Once the police commander visited the Gorskis and told them: "I was at the transport to Treblinka and the Gilblums were not there; I am sure that you abscond them somewhere, but I will find them". So they remained there till the coming of Russians in July of 1944, even longer because there roamed still some bandits, from whom they escaped by the back door. All the remaining Jews gathered in Lublin. Abram was in contact with the Gorskis till his departure to Israel. There, in a kibutz, he had no possibility to continue it and no money. After 1967 (the Six days war) no correspondence was allowed. When Abram found Janina's address, as Marceli was no more living, he asked an American-Israeli institution to help her. She got from there $20, he added his $30 and sent her parcels. She replied: "You have grandchildren, but I am alone and I do not need anything". When the Gorskis were honored at Yad Vashem as "Righteous" Janina was too ill with asthma to come.
Abram told at the end of his story: I am happy. Maybe not because I met people who saved my life, but because to meet a true human beings is happiness". See: Isakiewicz, op. cit.

GORSKI, Maria, Sister, a nun, not related to other Gorskis

GORSKI, Stanislaw (-1972)
GORSKI, Anna (1909-) wife

Stanislaw and his family lived in Warsaw. In May 1943, when the Ghetto uprising came to its end, Izaak Ajzenfus and his cousin escaped the burning ghetto and wandered for seven days in Warsaw, looking for shelter, but people refused them for fear of punishment. Upon learning from where they came, Stanislaw proposed to shelter them in the cellar of a burnt-out house to which he had a key, bringing them straw and blankets. Together they started to earn their living by producing illicitly distilled liquor. Anna bought the raw material and sold the alcohol. Stanislaw Gorski, caught in a roundup, was sent to the Mauthausen concentration camp. All survived. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GRABDA, Witold, son

From July 1943, the Grabdas sheltered on their farm at Rakowka, Kielce prov., two Jews aged 19 and 24, of whom one was Samuel Rozenfeld. Both went on to Israel. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GRABOWSKI, Wanda, wife

GRABOWSKI, Henryk (1913-) engineer (not related)
GRABOWSKI, Irena, (1915-) wife

Henryk belonged to the scouting organization, which already before the war had contacts with Haszomer Hacair, a Jewish youth movement, part of the Jewish Fighting Organization. Towards the end of 1941 some members of the two movements met in Warsaw and decided to go to the different ghettos, verify their situation and build communications among them. At that meeting were present Mordechaj Anielewicz, Icchak Cukierman, Josef Kaplan, Cywia Lubetkin and from the Polish side Irena Adamowicz (q.v.) and Stanislaw Hajduk, besides Henryk. The latter went to the ghettos in Bialystok, Grodno and Vilna. Here he met Arie Wilner, alias "Jurek". The activists of Jewish resistance: Chaju Grosman, Arie, Edek Boraks and others met often in the Grabowskis' flat. Here arms for the ghetto were hidden. Arie, who was the representative of the resistance in the Warsaw ghetto was arrested, tortured on Aleja Szucha (Gestapo headquarters), and sent to a forced labor camp in Warsaw. Henryk succeeded to extricate him from there and bring him barely alive to his apartment. Thanks to the care of Irena Grabowski, Arie recovered and returned to the ghetto. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GRABOWSKI, Jan (not related)
GRABOWSKI, Maria, wife
GRABOWSKI, Kazimierz, son
GRABOWSKI, Stanislaw, son

GRABOWSKI-STOLARSKI, Janina (not related) see STOLARSKI, Balbina, mother

GRABOWSKI, Stefan (not related)
GRABOWSKI, Anna, wife

GRABOWSKI, Teresa (not related)
GRABSKI, Bronislawa

GRADOWSKI-POLLACK, Aleksandra (1918-)

While in secondary school, before the war, Aleksandra befriended Alina Gradus. At the beginning of 1943 Aleksandra organized a Kennkarte for Alina and her sister Irena, got them out of the Warsaw ghetto and brought both sisters to Wiazowna, near Warsaw, where her mother lived. Both sisters found work there and survived. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GRELL-SZEPELOWSKI, Jadwiga see SZEPELOWSKI, Wladyslaw. & Stanislawa., parents?
GRENDA, Ligoria, Sister see Ligoria, Sister

GROBELNY, Julian, alias TROJAN (1893-1944)
GROBELNY, Halina (1900-) wife

Julian Grobelny took part in the Silesia Uprisings and was a member of the Polish Socialist Party, and an activist before the war among the workers in Lodz . As representative of that party, he joined Zegota (Council for Aid to Jews) and from its inception was elected its head. The couple was famous for their preoccupation with saving particularly Jewish children, in close co-operation with Irena Sendler (q.v.). In their very modest home at Ceglowo, near Warsaw, they offered shelter to whoever needed it most, children and adults. See: Grynberg, op. cit., Bartoszewski & Lewin, op. cit.,Wronski & Zwolakowa, op. cit., Smolski, and Prekerowa, op. cit.

GROCHOLSKI, Olga, wife

GROCHOLSKI, Stanislaw (not related)
GROCHOLSKI, Anna, wife

One Stanislaw Grocholski is mentioned as a surgeon who with Feliks Kanabus and Andrzej Trojanowski was among 15 such doctors who performed the operation for removing the traces of circumcision. Some of them made also nose and ears operations to hide the most prominent Semitic features. See: Prekerowa, op. cit.

GRONEK, Alina see KACZMAREK, Jadwiga, mother

GRUCHACZ, Tadeusz (does not appear on the Yad Vashem 1999 list, but did before)
GRUDZINSKI, Hanna Jozefa, physician
GRUDZINSKI, Wojciech, son
GRUM, Katarzyna, wife
GRUSZCZAK, Tadeusz, physician
GRUSZEWSKI, Jozefina, wife
GRYCZKIEWICZ, Maria Krystyna, wife
GRYCZKIEWICZ, Anna Maria, daughter
GRYGUC-KWIETNIEWSKI, Zdzislawa see KWIETNIEWSKI, Andrzej & Wiktoria, parents?
GRZEBYK, Maria, wife
GRZEBYK-WOLOSZYNIAK, Stefania, daughter? see WOLOSZYNIAK, Stanislaw, husband
GRZELAK, Bronislawa, wife

GRZESIAK, Lucja, wife

Henryk and Lucja lived in Lvov. They could see from their window the Jews gathered for deportation to Treblinka. They pulled out of that group a young boy, Natan Neuman, whom they kept for several weeks. Then Henryk brought him to a group of partisans hiding in the nearby forest. Recognized as "Righteous" in 1998, they were honored on Dec. 15, 1999 in Warsaw, according to the announcement of the Israeli Embassy in Poland.

GRZESIAK, Tadeusz (not related)
GRZYB-NOWICKI, Tekla see NOWICKI, Mieczyslaw, husband

GRZYBOWSKI, Jerzy (1926-)

Jerzy was a worker in Bedzin. In November 1942 a 6 years old boy, Klajnman, came to his apartment and remained there till the end of the occupation, until his uncle reclaimed him in January 1945 and went with him abroad. Jerzy came to know Samuel Montag in a forced labor camp at Blachownia Slaska. He obtained shelter for him with a Montag family (not his relative) when both escaped the camp. Samuel left for Germany. He maintains contacts with Jerzy. See: Grynberg, op. cit

GRZYBOWSKI, Ludwika (not related)

GRZYBOWSKI, Stanislawa (not related)
GRZYBOWSKI, Jerzy, son
GRZYBOWSKI, Maria, daughter
GRZYBOWSKI, Roman, son

GRZYBOWSKI, Wladyslaw (not related)
GRZYBOWSKI, Irena, wife
GUGA, Maria
GUMULKA-BRON, Irena see BRON, Zygmunt, Wanda & Alina
GURSKI, Aleksandra
GUT, Marianna
GUT, Feliks, son
GUT, Jan, son


Irena helped Jewish workers of a laundry for German officers in Tarnopol (now in Ukraine). She took such good care of the German major, responsible for the laundry, that he granted her special passes with which Jewish workers could leave the ghetto and spend several days in the laundry. One day the major returned home earlier than usual. What was his amazement and indignation when he discovered nine Jews in his apartment: they did not have time to run to the cellar. But Irena implored him to have pity on them all. She even managed to have him add some conveniences to the cellar in which they normally hid. When the Gestapo came to investigate, Irena did not allow them to search the house, under the pretext, that it is the private home of a major of the German army and that the Gestapo should rather call on him in his office. In the meantime, the situation of Germans on the front worsened and Irena was ordered to move west with the Germans. Instead she escaped with her Jews and hid in a forest. Having to part with them, she provided for their care by another woman. Advancing Russians liberated them on March 24, 1944. Irena managed to escape to Kielce and to join partisans. All survived. Irena moved to the United States, married and spoke publicly on the Holocaust. See: Paldiel, op. cit.

GUTOWSKI, Leonia (1900-1956)
GUTOWSKI-ROZECKI, Janina (1922-) daughter
GUTOWSKI-LESISZ, Wanda (1925-) daughter

The Gutowski family resided in their own villa in Warsaw. Leonia's husband, a career officer, was taken prisoner to Soviet Russia and was shot in 1940 as one among the ca. 22.000 Polish officers executed at Katyn and other places. She was a teacher. An acquaintance brought over to the Gutowskis the Teicher couple and their 6-7 years old son, Henryk. The Teichers left after a few days, as Leonia and both of her daughters were very active in the underground and harbored already an English parachutist. But the acquaintance did not return for the boy: she was arrested with the Teichers. A few moths later Irena, a Jewish young woman, came to their villa - she also had to change her previous hiding place. She remained with them till the Warsaw Uprising (1944). After the war she married a Polish officer, who was a POW in Germany, Palenker, and they went to Israel. The Gutowskis searched at the Jewish Committee for some relatives of Henryk. They found that he had an uncle Sztorch in the USA and an aunt Halpern. This latter took Henryk with her to Israel. It was difficult to persuade the boy to leave the Gutowskis. Janina, the elder daughter, was invited twice to Israel by Henryk Teicher and planted a tree for the three of them. See: Grynberg, op. cit. and Lukas: Out of the Inferno, op. cit.

GUZEK, Jozef,
GUZEK, Zuzanna, wife
GUZEK, Eugeniusz, son
GUZDZ-KIELOCH, Helena see KIELOCH, Jadwiga, mother
GUZIK-MATUSZAK, Krystyna see MATUSZAK, Katarzyna, mother
GWIZDAK, Stanislaw
GWIZDAK, Katarzyna, wife
GWIZDAK, Tadeusz, son

GWOZDOWICZ, Matylda (1888-1964)
GWOZDOWICZ, Irena (1923-)

The Gwozdowicz family lived at Bursztyn (Stanislawow prov.). The father, a judge, had died before the war. Irena befriended in school Lusia Rozen. The widow and the two daughters moved to Przemysl. When Ukrainians and Germans started the killings of Jews, Matylda offered to help her in case she needed it. Lusia got a birth certificate of a girl deported to Germany, from a Greek Catholic priest and went on to Przemysl as Jozefa Balda. As such she did not have to hide and even got work in a German army kitchen, as the daughter of a woman taken to Siberia. She remained with the Gwozdowicz family till the end of the war. After the war she married Leon Freifeld and left with him for Israel. Lusia invited Irena to Israel in 1963 and in 1987 petitioned Yad Vashem for the recognition of the three Gwozdowicz women. The ceremony took place a year later. See: Grynberg, op. cit.

GYNALSKI-MAJEWSKI, Leokadia, (sister? daughter?)